Who says winter produce is boring? I get so excited when I start to see blood oranges and pomegranates in the produce section. This salad uses some of the best produce winter has to offer. It's full of life with its beautiful colors, bright flavors, and variety of textures. It's the perfect accompaniment to rich Mexican dishes like my mole rubbed venison steak.
Start by making a simple lime dressing with lime zest and juice, olive oil, honey, and cilantro.
Next, slice that jicama REALLY thin. Dress the jicama and let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours to really absorb the flavor of the dressing. Jicama is a funny thing. If you don't treat it right, it can taste like a straight up raw potato. Slicing it super thin and letting it marinate is really the way to go. Side note: my sweet in-laws bought me a new mandoline slicer for Christmas that I've been eyeballing for a while now. (thank you!) If you're on the fence, I definitely recommend purchasing one. I should have upgraded years ago!
Next, add some peeled blood orange slices, avocado slices, and pomegranate seeds. Top with some chili lime salt (or a mixture of sea salt and red pepper flakes) and you're good to go!
Shaved Jicama and Blood Orange Salad
- mandoline slicer
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium jicama
- 4 blood oranges
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ pomegranate, arils removed
- chili lime sea salt, to taste (or mixture of sea salt and red pepper flakes)
- Mix together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Peel jicama. Slice into 1/16" thin slices on mandoline slicer (or as thin as you can get them). Cut slices into ½" wide strips. Place in medium bowl and toss with dressing until all pieces are well-coated. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving to allow the jicama to soak up the flavor of the dressing.
- Cut ends off of blood oranges, then cut the rest of the rind off. Slice oranges into ⅛" thin slices. Refrigerate if not serving right away.
- Just before serving, toss jicama again to disperse the dressing. Top with orange slices, avocado slices and pomegranate arils. Sprinkle with chili lime sea salt.